Friday, March 23, 2007

What If I Hate My Job?

All of my professional life, I have been at a crossroads..."What do I want to be when I grow up?" I've been everything from a Waitress to a Career Counselor, and still have yet to find my "forte."

I occasionally try to reflect on some things...yes, I liked being an Executive Assistant, but everyone knows that is just the fancy way to say "secretary," and would one seriously go all the way to get their MBA just to be a secretary? I really liked working at the bank as well, but spending all these years in the world of non-profit now adds a "non-profit management" connotation to my resume making that shift back to the private sector almost futile.

When I began Case Management back home, I received accolades for my social work and advocacy...many attested to the fact that it must be my "calling." So when I relocated, that's the plateau I decided to rest on for a while. In my new city, it wasn't long before my name began to ring about in the community for the work that I had done, and I think I had found a point where I was finally "content..." but the morale at the agency I worked for forced me to make a decision...should I stay or should I go? I knew my customers needed me, many will say that I do what I do (advocacy/customer service) well, why would I leave? Hmmm... a raise, and a chance to get more Management experience on my resume, AND a new group of people to work with???? What did I have to lose?

I couldn't have been more wrong...Since the day I started I have been doing everything that I DON'T like to do. I have to read, read, read...I have to "think policy," and I have to go to meeting after meeting...I LOATHE meetings. I mean somewere along the lines in corporate America, we adopted this misconception that we have to TALK at people for about an hour on a topic that could be explained in 5 minutes, and I don't like it! My boss keeps telling me how important it is to remember that I need to put on a different hat now...I write contracts and policy, and should not worry so much about being "in the weeds (customer service)" so much anymore. What?!?!?! I just came out of those "weeds" not even a month ago, and hey, I liked it there!!!

So, as I sit here debating on whether or not I should just walk right out the door...I decided I'd ask my friends their thoughts and/suggestions...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what I can say is that in life we all go through changes some for the better and some for the worse. You have come so far in accomplishing your goals and dreams why stop now? If you are not truly content in what you do and do not look forward to waking up each morning and going to work then your heart is not in it. We need to be satisfied with our careers and our life choices because the realization is WE are the ones who must live it. I read your blog and it seems to me you have already made your decision and you already know what your heart is telling you. Money is not everything. . . Trust me I have been there and I am still there. I have been working in banks and executive offices since I was 16 always held an office position in corporate america (not fun), and just recently decided this is not what I want to do, this is not me. So now I am taking steps to get to where I really want to be. So, I tell you this pray on it, God will not steer us wrong and follow you heart. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your input Becky, that means a lot! I will definitely take your advice on prayer...it ALWAYS works! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone can say it better than Becky. You know what's in your heart. So go for it!